Friday, January 15, 2021

No, really, I'm serious!

If you're a husband, you know the drill.  When Christmas, birthdays and anniversaries are on the horizon, a certain chest tightness begins, which evolves into full-blown panic as the date approaches.  You try to remember hints, what she has liked in the past, you check with your kids, maybe call her best friend, etc.

I have certainly blown it in the past, without bringing up cringe-worthy gifts.  However, I think I am starting to figure her out.  In 2016, I got it right:

That's correct; she wanted waders so that she could clean the edges of her pond without falling in.  
OK, she's not totally weird.  She also scored the complete box set of "Downton Abbey."
Last year, the old gas blower gave out and despite carburetor rebuilds, etc. it would no longer start after only 30 years (!).  It got through my thick skull, and she was thrilled.  No, really!  Now when she goes by yard crews working, she grins and says her blower is better.
Sure, I also know what kind of perfume she likes, and when a catalog lays around open to a certain something, I'm no dummy.  This year, I kept my ears open for a couple of months before.  Yep, that's right, she wanted a bed cover for her 2001 Tacoma pickup.  Isn't that what every girl dreams about?  And I didn't misspeak; it's her truck.

So after I gave away the old plastic bedliner and had spray-on bedliner applied, she got what she really wanted.
On the other hand, she also giggled when she opened the pearl necklace.  Hey, I'm not totally dumb.
I hope you figure out your spouse also.
Dave

1 comment:

Patti said...

My kids were appalled when I got an electric hedge trimmer a few Christmases ago while I was screaming with delight. The hubs nailed it. So did you. Way to go on all counts of great gifts given.