Friday, March 26, 2021

Another problem solved, but too late

I was a Scoutmaster on and off for about fifteen years.  During that time I gained an unfair (in my opinion) knack for attracting bad weather.  This was the usual picture for whatever Friday night I had chosen for the monthly campout because of my call schedule.

To my chagrin, what I thought to be an unfair reputation turned out to actually be true.  A member of our congregation looked at the history over a two-year period and the likelihood of precipitation on one of my campouts was over 90%.  You name the form of water and it was going to fall on us that many times out of a hundred.  
But didn't my troop take the Boy Scout Motto seriously about being prepared?  Nope.  Not even close.  I became adept at helping them rig tarps and pick campsites, but it was very likely that when I checked a tent full of guys in the morning there would be standing waves in the water in their shelter.  Sleeping bags wick that water up very nicely, but luckily humans themselves are waterproof, mostly.  
Suggestions were plentiful from the snickering dads.  "Ever consider scuba gear, Dave?  Heh, heh."  And the moms.  "Oh, dear, can't you do something about the weather, Dave?  I'm tired of scrubbing the mold out of his uniform," or, "How did a fish end up in his sleeping bag, Dave?"
With a different Church assignment, my camping trips are far fewer.  Being retired, I can also pick the weather.  Mostly.  And then I saw this!
Oh, man!  This solves a bunch of problems!  Who cares about the rain?  You could just paddle back to the car!  I can imagine the whole troop with these things.
OK, there might be a few teensy, weentsy problems.  Like the $1,275.00 price tag.  Each.  And backpack-able?  Uh, they weigh 75 pounds.  Each.  Which was roughly twice the weight of many of my Scouts.  And while freeing up the group in terms of needing dry campsites, the wildlife problem took on a whole new aspect.
OK, and the middle-of-the-night 'nature calls' could be problematic.  Explaining how a kid almost drowned going to the bathroom would be 'twisty.'  But hey, there are still advantages to be considered.  Canoe trips without the canoes?  No problema!  No room at the oceanside camping areas?  Just camp in the ocean!

Sadly, and probably for meteorologic reasons, I no longer serve with the teenage young men.  When I raised the possibility of a floating tent with Paula, she dope slapped me and told me to quit surfing the Web, and reminded me that there was no need for such things at nice hotels.  Nice, dry hotels.

I hope that such innovations come to your attention while they could still be useful.

Dave

1 comment:

Patti said...

Uh, that last photo was terrifying. But the floating tents? I am totally onboard. (See what I did there?)