Tuesday, May 24, 2022

The Revenge of the Tree Rats!

     We previously reported the consideration of harvesting and consuming some of our local tree chickens in a desperate moment.   Unfortunately, we now suspect that a few of the fluffy little pine cone bandits might be able to read, an advantage they would hold over many of the human residents of our proud state.  

     This unnerving possibility was raised just the other day.  As you know from previous posts, Paula and I enjoy cycling and are presently putting in some miles in preparing for an adventure later this year (stay tuned for probably-snarked-out posts on THAT).  
     On a usually-pleasant downhill stretch, I heard Paula screech and when I fell back to see what was wrong, all she could say was, "A squirrel!  A squirrel!  It jumped out and hit my leg and almost knocked me over!!"
     This is not the first time that our fuzzy-tailed arboreal 'friends' have tried to sabotage cyclists.  Here is an example of a felled bicycle with a kamikaze tree rodent stuck in the front wheel.
     And another.
     At this point, we are pretty much convinced that the squirrels have found the internet address of this blog and are out for revenge upon us for suggesting that they might supplement our diet.  
     Unusual times call for unusual measures, such as 
or an airbag helmet, complete with the cute model, Paula says.
or even this, complete with the front Squirrel Guard™ which I am about to patent, by the way (don't even TRY to snipe me on this one!)
     We have considered calling for a truce in the confrontation, but through my binoculars I saw something that made me think that the rodents are in no mood.
     Stay tuned for further developments.  Meanwhile, if you are a local tree chicken reading this, we desire peace and are ready to offer peanuts as proof of our sincerity.  If they seem rancid and/or stale, that's Paula's fault and make sure you go for her bike and not mine.
David

1 comment:

Patti said...

Well, I never! My battles with squirrels now seem puny in comparison. We're talking about bodily harm here! I hope your local tree chickens accept your plea for peace, and stale peanuts.