Saturday, July 30, 2022

Things can change in a moment

    I'm not sure I've ever hurt that much or that instantly.  After lying by my bicycle and yelling for a while, I tried to get up and realized that something bad was going on - weight bearing caused some clearly wrong, hurtful movement in my right hip.       

     I may have mentioned an upcoming bicycle tour in Croatia, one that was originally supposed to happen in 2019, but then there was that COVID-19 thing you've probably heard about.  No?  Well, it was a mess. 

     Anyway, it was finally supposed to happen for about three weeks beginning at the end of August.  Some of the days' rides look challenging, like over a mile of climbing over about 60 miles distance, so we've been doing a lot of riding.

     We set out for a good 45-mile ride at about 5:30 AM on Wednesday morning at a time when the headlights helped to see and be seen.  It was getting light when we were riding up a zig-zag wooden section of the local Greenway.  I went around a corner at about 4 mph, and the bike slipped out, dumping me on my right hip, still clipped into the pedals.  

     We called a neighbor who happened to be up, he came with our van, we dropped him off and we headed for the "Open 24 hours" urgent care at Raleigh Orthopedics which wasn't open for another hour, during which I finally stopped yelling.  The X-rays meant that I had to be admitted, where some more X-rays said, "Duh, your right hip's busted."  (Below: "Acute, displaced right femur neck fracture.")

     You'll notice that the circled head of the right femur (long leg bone) is kind of shorter and kind of squashed looking, comparing it to the other side.  The orthopaedic MD agreed and worked on scheduling total hip replacement, which finally ended up taking place about 30 (not) fun hours later.

     Back when I was an actual doctor myself doing actual surgery, I always felt good when my patients/victims/whatever awakened from anesthesia, and announced to me that they already felt better, and such was the case for me now.  They let me out of the hospital the next morning, after being instructed by OT (Occupational Therapy), PT (Physical Therapy), SOT (Some Other Therapist) and a few other people, and signing a dozen papers that said various things.

     So what now?  Six weeks of less-than-50 percent weight bearing on that side, no angle less than 90 degrees, yada, yada, yada.  No cycling or kiting for at least three months.  I was hoping that I wouldn't need a walker for a few more years, and that picking my socks up with one of those grabbers could be put off for a while, but I guess not.  

     We try to listen for inspiration on decisions, and occasionally we get the feeling to NOT do something.  However, on Wednesday morning there were no such feelings - a complete "clear" for the ride.  Trying to parse it, maybe a) it was just one of those things to which we are randomly subject in this mortal phase, b) I'm supposed to learn patience and compassion for others through the experience (not working yet), or c) someone else (yes, you, Paula) can learn to be nicer or d) this may allow something to happen that wouldn't have happened otherwise.

     Anyway, to steal and not actually coin a phrase, "it is what it is," and we just have to schlog through the experience, and hopefully learn something.  

     We hope you stay upright on your bicycle, and yes, mine is fine and it thank you for asking.

David

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Dave, We are so sorry! Hope rehab goes well and fast! Geoff and Karen

Anonymous said...

Oh, my, I'm so sorry! That's one reason that I don't ride a bike. Happy healing!

Anonymous said...

I’m so sorry! Wow! Definitely an unexpected turn. hope you feel better soon and mobility returns quickly.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear this update and grateful to hear you are in the mend. Also grateful for helmets…. This could have been a worse adventure! Feel better soon!

Rob Cox said...

There is nothing "a cute" about that x-ray. I hope you're back on your bicycle soon... without the training wheels. :)

Rob Cox said...

BTW, they mis-spelled your middle name... so I'm not sure it's really your x-ray.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your mishap! Bill is on week 5 following his hip replacement. He’s finally able to actually sleep in a bed. And earlier this week he was out on his bike! Walking sticks saved his sanity and pride…he refused the walker! (Pride goeth before the fall…) Happy healing. Paula, hang in there!😁

Nancy Brawley said...

I am so sorry to hear about your fall! I am right there with you using a walker (I too, thought that was for “older” people.) I had a fall resulting in foot/ankle surgery and was 8 weeks of no weight bearing. I’m still in a boot but finally able to put 2 feet on the floor. I pray your recovery is quick with minimal pain.

Anonymous said...

What a complete bummer. So grateful for modern medicine to fix you up. Poor Paula. When Greg broke his heel, he couldn’t put weight on it for 3 months. I had to nurse him back to health. And what did I get for my troubles? A 1 1/2 star rating on my nursing survey. Good Luck Paula.

Patti said...

You missed the several exclamations of "OH NO!" as I read your post. I am so sorry. I laughed when I realized how many comments had wished Paula good luck. I also wish Paula luck with her patient, and that you heal perfectly and quickly.

Anonymous said...

I’m so sorry about your injury and missing your trip to Croatia. Rob and Joel did a bike trip there several years ago and absolutely loved the experience. I’m sure you will get to go eventually- I think it will be worth the wait! Take care and heal fast!

Patricia said...

I am truly sorry for your accident and pain. Pain is not my friend. Wishing you a speedy recovery for your sake and Paula’s! Love to you both! Pat & Doug

Glenn and Melanie said...

The ride of your life. The twists and turns of life. I had a major car accident a long time ago, and I distinctly feel it was one of those accidents in life that was not necessarily "meant to be", but part of this mortal life. We wish you a full recovery.

Kathryn Chontos said...

So sorry to read about your mishap. Hope you are up and riding again soon. Broke my wrist around the same time as your incident. Not even a good story! I am going to quit complaining about it now!